Monday, October 30, 2017

Discussion: The Importance of Sequels

Hello! It's been awhile since my last post here, and I thought I'd update the ol' blog with a bit of an opinion piece on the importance of sequels for game developers. Click past the break to check it out!

Friday, July 21, 2017

You Already Have Motivation

Yo, 'sup!

It's been awhile since my last post here on my devblog - that's something that I need to change. Here's a quickie little article that I wanted to write about - motivation.

Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Greenlit and Further Progress


So it's been quite awhile since I last posted here (YET AGAINNNN~), but things have been going rather well. Gearend was greenlit a couple of months ago! Here's an older devlog that I posted that shows a bit of what I worked on since then.

There's some more details and further videos after the break below.

Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Devlogs And Greenlight Preparation

Yo! Sorry for being so tardy on keeping this up to date - I've been really busy the past few months (as to be expected, I hope?). Here's a bit of news, and after that I'll dump the rest of the devlog videos I've yet to post here.

So, I'm GEARing up (haha) to put this sucker up on Steam Greenlight soon, so we'll see how that goes. I'm finishing up basically enough to get a trailer out (which means some boss mechanics and some NPC stuff, I think). I've been thinking about working on just the stuff I need to finish the game at this point, rather than being distracted by feature creep - I wanted to add one more zone, but maybe I won't have time??? I'll have to figure it out - I wanted to be done by the end of July, I think. Now I'd like to be done by end of August.


I've also been doing stuff to work on my website, since that's something I proooooobably should do something about. The previous site I had was made using a program called OpenElement, and it's one I would advise you to use if you're doing some website work and wanna try it out on Windows. Since I moved to Linux, I looked around at the alternatives for website design and found that there aren't really any, for some reason. So, I decided to just go the manual route - I downloaded Atom, grabbed a couple of plug-ins to do some live HTML reloading, and started learning HTML and CSS. It's just a programming language, so it's pretty easy to learn - I think I like web design, haha. Kinda wish I had started writing sites in HTML earlier, I guess.

Monday, May 23, 2016

Shieldin' and Selectin' / Rusting Over

Hey, there!

I've been making new devlog videos for Gearend, my 2D Metroid-like in development, and forgot to post anything here! I actually have something interesting that I wanted to write-up, but before that, here's the new devlog videos.

In this one, I outline some of the changes I've made since the last devlog video. You can catch a quick changelog in the description of the video.

This one is a new song, Rusting Over. It's kind of a pensive, thoughtful, sad, driving track that I think fits in rather well with Gearend. But I've got a lot more good (hopefully) music I'll show, too! Please look forward to it, haha!

Saturday, April 23, 2016

Gearend Devlog Video Dump

Yo, there!

I've been making a lot of progress on Gearend, but haven't actually shown any of it around here! So first up, a devlog video dump!

Here's a song that was in the old Gearend that I'm going to use for the new Gearend, after spiffying it up some.

And some more devlogs after the break!

Friday, April 1, 2016

Gearend Devlog Video #6 - AI Theory

Yo! Here's a quick devlog video showing how I'm approaching AI for Gearend.

The idea is to base everything around tracks that you can turn on or off, and that control which behaviors are being executed at any given time. It's basically lines of Finite State Machines strung together.

Each Track will have only one active Behavior at a time, though you can have as many Tracks as necessary. Each track also will have its own mode (Normal, Choice, etc) and its own controls (for reversing, toggling, clearing, copying, etc). The general idea is to make reusable behaviors simple and easy to use across the different games I make.

Anyway, that's it for this one. Thanks for reading!