Pages

Monday, May 14, 2012

Pick-ups, Refinement, Ambiance, and Fixes

Hello, again. In the time between the release of the first demo and now, I've been fixing bugs and adding features. I think I've eliminated all of the holes in the geometry that were present in different maps, which is good, though I won't know for sure until someone nudges around somewhere that I haven't thought to try yet.


I've also got a to-do list of features and bugs that I need to fix. So far, I've gotten quite a bit out of the way of the list - it's pretty easy to just do one thing a day, so that's an advantage. Death and a proper title screen are still on the to-do list, but I'm still whittling down features that I want to add.



I've improved the sewers by quite a bit, adding some minor reflections to the large pool of water under the broken bridgeway, and adding dripping water drops. It really helps to add ambiance to the area.

I also added smaller additions. I added dust when you roll - this gives a little bit more of an 'effect' to it, though it might be a bit too much. :)



I also added a "RELOAD!" sprite that appears when you run out of ammo. You don't have to do anything - this just tells you that you're out of ammo and will reload. I might change this to be a bar that fills up while reloading, rather than just a flashing sprite.



I also improved the enemy guard's aim a bit. It was too easy to simply walk around the enemy and shoot them - now they aim a bit quicker, which should be a challenge. Fortunately, they also drop health and ammo for you now, which should make your journey completable, at least, heh.



I fixed the player and enemies' shadows - now they follow the ground perfectly. I also added sounds to the enemies' attacks. I still have to get their footsteps, though.

I still have quite a bit to do with the game, but it's turning out pretty good so far. By the way, I recently made a song, though this one is not for Soldier Of. It's called electronic all around. Check it out!

Welp, that's it for now. Thanks a lot for reading and watching this space! If you want to continue to follow development, feel free to visit my Twitter page, my Facebook page, or my YouTube page! Anyway, have fun!


3 comments:

  1. That's amazing :) looks fantastic :) when will it be finished? Hope that will be soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope it'll be finished soon, too.

      Delete
  2. I wish I was as skilled, but have you seen the new vid of my game? I'm getting better. Also, I like how you rock oldskool, you do it great justice.

    ReplyDelete