Pages

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Soldier Of Progress - 4-25-12 - Progress Video Update!

Hey. So, I've been making a lot of progress lately into Soldier Of, adding a lot of features and maps, as well as fixing bugs. One major thing that I added was switches. There are currently two types - buttons, and gears.


Switches (Animated!)

That's an animated GIF up there - check out the Images section to see it in action.

Gears are switches that you shoot to trigger linked objects. Gears require several shots to 'wind up', and wind down over time, which means that they're timed switches. I'll be sure to implement lots of ammo drops to make sure that you don't run out. Although, you'll always have your default pistol, which never runs out of ammo, as well, so you'll never be stuck without ammo or ways to activate switches.

Buttons, on the other hand, can be activated by a single shot. They aren't time-based, so they won't 'de-trigger' on you. Another unique feature of buttons is that they can trigger other buttons. I made this mainly to have 'press button 1 to open a gate and press button 2 to close it (by 'de-triggering' button 1)' kinds of interactions, but this functionality could also be used for pretty hard puzzles.

So far, the only interact-able objects are blocks. Activating switches will move blocks around.
I programmed it so that different blocks can have different parameters (how far or fast they move, where they stop, etc. ) easily, as well, which is good for development, and for keeping players on their feet.

Another thing I added was awareness to enemies - now if you get close to an enemy, they will become aware of you. They'll also alert their allies that are on the same map. So, it's generally a good idea to stay hidden when facing larger groups.

I've been working on the maps and lighting recently, as well, which is a good thing. I think I've improved on the graphics in the darker areas.




Finally, it's been awhile since I uploaded a progress video, so I decided that I'd add that. No voice this time - just pure gameplay.

Well, that's it. Thank you so much for watching and reading about my game!

No comments:

Post a Comment