Pages

Friday, October 19, 2012

What Is Misshoni

Hey. So, it's been a couple of weeks since my last post, and in that time I've been working on my month-long co-op Metroidvania game, Misshoni. It probably won't sell for very much when I'm finished (I'm thinking $2-5). As usual, I'm using the Blender Game Engine for this project. It's been going well so far.






Misshoni will be a short co-op Metroidvania with emphasis on teamwork and getting by with help.

Fighting the first enemy, the Slice.
The idea for this is to make a short game that emphasizes co-operation just as much as the traditional exploration, combat, and puzzle-solving as Metroidvania titles. Surprisingly, I can't think of any Metroidvania titles that has co-operative gameplay, offline or online. It seems like it would be a good fit, which is why I'm attempting to tackle it with this project. I think it would be a nice thing to go exploring a world with your friend, and challenging the obstacles that arise.




Trying to do some sort of
wave-dash technique with
recoil. :p

Something that would not be so much fun would be if the game forced your characters to stick together, or forced a split-screen. Forcing your characters to stick together defeats the idea of individual exploration (i.e. each person going off to do something on their own). Forcing a split-screen takes a lot of the room to breathe and see what you're doing, even when you're right next to each other. I think the best solution would be conditional split-screening - namely, that when your characters are close together enough, you'll automatically share the screen, and when you're too far away, the screens split into their own 'windows'. That way, you can have individual exploration, while still having the ability to come together to tackle common goals. I don't know if I'll do enough to really take advantage of this functionality, but I think it could be fun.





While the end of the month is approaching rather quickly, I have gotten quite a bit done, including the basic player movement and gameplay, an enemy, the background and setting tiles, and some of the GUI. I also have a few sprites of the enemy at the left. I have a pretty good idea of what he'll do. Do you?

I still plan to have something finished by the end of the month, even if it's not completely finished (a demo, an alpha, whatever). Anywho, that's pretty much what I've got so far. Thanks a lot for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment