Pages

Friday, June 8, 2012

Soldier Of Progress - 6/8/12

Hey. So, I've been working on Soldier Of recently, and I'm pretty happy with where it's going. I wish I had a devlog video this time around, but it'll have to wait a bit. I've been working on a lot of things, mainly polishing the game, adding items and maps, and working on the music for the game.

One new thing I've added are ammo containers.



Ammo containers increase the capacity of your ammo for each of your weapons by 10% (right now). They'll be hidden around the landscape, much like Health Containers, and will count toward a global amount. Collecting them will be required to get a 100% clear rate for the game. Getting that might net you a cool secret in the end, so be sure to really explore the game world when you get a chance.



I've also added a couple of maps to the destroyed theater. I think I could use to add some more rubble-like objects to help convey just how much the city's been destroyed. Also, I want to implement some dangerous platforming to the game - perhaps running along pipes over a bottomless pit. One that actually kills you this time, of course. ;)

I think I mentioned this before, but didn't actually show them - buttons are now working.



In the picture, Simon is standing in front of a button. They're switches like cranks, but don't require you to sit and fire at them, which is good for puzzles where you need to be somewhere else on the map while a block is moving. Simply hit them once to activate them, and hit them again to deactivate them.

Something else that I wanted to mention is that while I'm using group instances for block placement, and they have identical core code, I can change the values on a per-block basis, which should make for very interesting puzzles. Don't expect all blocks to act the same. :)

So, I've been thinking about how to release this game - how it would best be put out there. Releasing the game via incremental updates like MineCraft would be nice, but I think that it would stagger the story too much. I wouldn't be able to develop the story every update, and the game might become a bit stale to people. Maybe it wouldn't - I need some feedback on the idea.

I currently think a good method would be to release the game episodically - every so often, I would (hopefully) release an update to the game that would add a new episode to it. This could be provided free of charge, as well - I'm not sure if people should have to pay for additional content. It would also make it easier for me, since I would only have to update a single game with bugfixes. However, the price of the game might go up a couple of bucks for each major update that I make (i.e. $5 before a new multiplayer mode, $6 after it), so be sure to grab your copy early! ;)

What do you think?

Also, I've made some more background music tracks for the game. They're still WIP, but I'm pretty happy with the way they turned out. First up is Aqueduct 2, and then Furnace. Both songs are based off of the original Aqueduct theme, with similar instruments and chords.

You'll really feel the fire on you with Furnace's style more tense style, and Aqueduct 2 will really chill you with it's slower, more lonely pace. Please listen to Aqueduct - 2 first, as Furnace contains elements from that song.

Of course, if you don't want to hear either and be surprised by the music when the game comes out, feel free to skip listening to them. :)



Oh, yeah, and I hope the next demo release will a bit more cross-platform than the first one - I'll see what I can do about that. ;) If you want to keep up on updates to the game, feel free to follow me on Twitter or at the IndieDB page.

Anyway, that's all of the updates for now. Thanks a lot for reading, listening, and watching, and thank you for your constructive feedback in the past few months. I really appreciate those who are fans of this one-man game effort.



~ SolarLune

No comments:

Post a Comment